The firm Lovius Block came into existence in 1911 when it was founded by Joseph Lovius, who was admitted as an Attorney in 1910
Joseph Lovius was later joined by Louis Shtein but after the latter’s death, Dr Joseph Block joined the firm in 1955.
In 1965 the firm amalgamated with Cecil Meltz who had been practising on his own since after the 2nd World War. Soon thereafter Colin Cowan and Hendrik Steyn joined as partners. The firm’s name then changed to Lovius Block Meltz & Cowan
Dr Block passed away in 1972 and Colin Cowan left the firm in 1973, the same year when Peter Yazbek became Partner, after having served five years articles of clerkship with the firm from 1968.
The firm then changed names to Lovius Block Meltz Steyn & Yazbek and continued as such for some time. However, for practical reasons, it was changed to the presently known name of Lovius Block.
Ockert Van Schalkwyk and Charles Dell, both of whom did their articles of clerkship at the firm came on board as Partners in 1995. Cecil Meltz untimeously passed away during November of that same year.
After being situated in the Standard Bank building in the city center, Lovius Block moved to its main premises in 2005. Situated at 31 First Avenue, Westdene we could offer a safer environment for staff and clients.
Duncan Murray, after joining the firm in 2010 as a Candidate Attorney, came on board as a Partner in 2015.
The current Directors are Charl Stander, Ockie Van Schalkwyk, Charles Dell, Duncan Murray, Uyleta Nel-Marais and Jannie Keyl.
The Directors are assisted by the firms consultant, Peter Yazbek as well as a professional staff contingent consisting of Herklaas Venter, Elsie Louw and Rochelle da Silva. The firm also has its own in house costs consultant in Sandra van Wyck.